Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Love Being In the Future

I feel very fortunate to live in a time (or lasted long enough for this time to arrive) when Indie developers are actually valued and endeavors like iTunes and Steam and The Humble Indie Bundle exist to let some of us wet our toes in enormous, churning rivers of cash. It kind of blows me away, especially when I think about how thrilled I was (in a previous century) to earn a teeny trickle of money hawking my shareware on CompuServe.

But I feel even more lucky, when it comes down to it, to live in a time when I can read articles like this one.

Here is one choice sentence:

Meeroos, an extremely popular species of virtual, breedable animal in Second Life, are now starving, because griefers have been selling their owners unauthorized food, and Linden Lab accidentally shut them down *and* their legitimate food supplier.


It's stuff like this that, truly, puts a song in my heart and a skip in my step.

15 comments:

  1. Amen Jeff. It was Watson that really brought this home to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that as well. We are living in a time of opportunity, where the barrier to entry to start your own business is lower than ever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite was the raids on Habbo Hotel, as well as the teens who stole "virtual furniture". I wonder how I would explain that to elderly relatives, who haven't really entered the digital age. They must be absolutely bewildered by many of today's news stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless you want people to click the dislike button over your head don't mention how you're currently drowning in cash, ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @vch\: I have to disagree - I think the world would be a much better place if every awesome indie game developer were drowning in cash! Trying to blood-sweat-and-tears my own dreams into existence has given me loads of respect for anyone who can successfully bust their ass and make it work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. /vch - Probably you have not ever bought one of Jeff's games, I would guess. I wish people who made the kind of games Jeff made would be filthy rich like Richard Garriott back in the day. Maybe then we'd have more good, involving, lengthy games vs. nothing but shooters. Thanks for the games Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've bought every one of Jeff's games.

    All I was saying was that Jeff's comments sounded a lot like someone showing up at your house and starting a conversation with "hey guys I'm super rich, isn't that cool".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really?
    I don't recall seeing him say anything about rolling in cash himself.

    I could try and state it clearly, but you could also try rereading Jeff's post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy games, Dirt Bike Games I enjoy to ride on my sport bike and another Motorbike Games

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it wasn't for the wars, we could be living in paradise, I agree with you, we are living great times.
    pharmacy reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete